The best little films on the big screen!
Toronto certainly doesn’t lack for film screenings. Cinephiles here are spoiled for choice, usually. But when it comes to shorts, things aren’t so great.
Local film blogger James McNally (Toronto Screen Shots) launched Shorts That Are Not Pants in December 2009, showing a program of shorts in his apartment to a small group of friends. Several other editions followed, and he soon felt it was time to share the wealth of short film talent with the rest of the city.
Beginning in January 2012, Shorts That Are Not Pants kicked off a quarterly celebration of short film. In 2018, we’re hosting a series of monthly curated screenings and will hold our very first festival weekend on November 16-17, 2018. We watch films from all over the world to bring you a curated program of films that we hope will entertain and inspire.
Questions? Get in touch!
Who are we?
- James McNally – Founder and Director of Programming
- Celine Roustan – Programming Assistant
- Barbara Goslawski – Programming Assistant
Some Media Coverage
- Interview with Criticize This! (Brian McKechnie), December 2011 (now offline)
- Torontoist (Kiva Reardon), January 2012
- Toronto Film Scene (Pam Fossen), January 2012
- Interview with The Onion A.V. Club (John Semley), January 2012 (now offline)
- BlogTO (Danielle D’Ornellas), January 2012
- Examiner.com (David Voigt), January 2012 (now offline)
- Toronto Film Scene (Pam Fossen), April 2012
- Interview with Toronto Film Scene (Katarina Gligorijevic), May 2012
- Toronto Film Scene (Pam Fossen), July 2012
- TVO’s Saturday Night at the Movies (Thom Ernst), July 2012 (now offline)
- Dork Shelf: Friendly Festivals: Shinsedai and STANP (Andrew Parker), July 2012
- Projections: The Toronto Star (Jason Anderson), January 2013
- The Substream (Rajo Zakic), January 2013 (now offline)
- Criticize This! (David Voigt), January 2013 (now offline)
- Movie Mezzanine (Corey Atad), January 2013
- Torontoist (Angelo Muredda), July 2013
- Hye’s Musings (Heidy M.), October 2013
- Interview with Film Festival Life (Jana Dietze), December 2013
- Interview with Toronto Social Review (Andrea Wrobel), January 2014 (now offline)
- Toronto Film Scene (Trista DeVries), January 2014
- Audio interview: CHRY News Now (Rosie Michel), March 2014
- Dork Shelf: Shorts Weather (Andrew Parker), July 2014
- Torontoist (Angelo Muredda), July 2014
- Interview with Katie Chats (Katie Uhlmann), October 2014
- Interview with Festival Focus (Katie McCullough), October 2014
- Interview with Frameline, Regent Radio (Barbara Goslawski), February 2016